Saturday 21 January 2017

Aqua, Long sleeved T shirt


After my recent successes with Pattern B6258 from Butterick. I was quite excited to find this fabric, which I thought I had lost, in a box in the loft. We were having a post-Christmas turn out!

I loved this print at first sight, bought it about 3 years ago and have dreamed about what I was going to make so many times. It reminds me of summer camping holidays and the swallows perched on telegraph wires.  Like many of the fabric remnants I buy there was a flaw in the material, which you can see in the picture below. I had enough for this pattern to cut all of the pieces around the flaw.


One of the things I enjoy about sewing is feeling a structured garment emerging from a soft flat piece to fabric. The seam tape on the shoulder seams works well in this design, giving the shoulder seams strength and supporting the rest of the garment well.



I think I should introduce you to my sewing partner “Flossie”. We are both the same size and she has been invaluable to me in making sure that the garments I make fit me well. I bought her second hand on eBay when she was looking for a new home. I have found that if I pin the neck facings or turnings on the dress form I can be sure that I am not stretching out the neck when I am working with stretch fabrics and then the neck lies flat.




 The weather is cold and by the time I get home from work it is dark but I really wanted to take a photograph outside in natural light. Here is my first (but only one) it was much too cold today to stay out in the garden any longer.



4 comments:

  1. Well done Rosemary, it suits both you and Flossie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rebecca. It's great to have my first comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely well made top, and beautiful fabric. I made a blouse in fabric with a very similar print when I was a teenager. Just a couple of years ago!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo
      Thank you for your encouraging words. I love this fabric so I am pleased that the project turned out so well.

      Delete